Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Underneath all the confusing conversations and scenes in AAW, some seem to find metaphors and deeper meanings inside this grim children's story. By my curious nature I am drawn to look for the keys to unlock the puzzles within a story such as Alice's. By doing so, as asked within previous class discussions, am I ruining my experience of reading the story? If I read through this with an ignorance is bliss sort of mindset I think all the creativity that the author put into creating this story would be somewhat lost in fact, since I wouldn't wonder about why he altered reality in particular ways. Knowing about metaphors and whatnot is a good thing. It really does help enhance the experience of diving into the book's adventure it wants to take its reader on. If everything were point blank, then where is the originality in that? Where is the suspense? Also, by being knowledgable of such craft elements it keeps the story alive and fresh, especially if it is one's favorite book and they read it over and over again.

No comments: